Key West Florida Wood Laser Engraved Map
Each map is a beautiful artistic handcrafted work of art using the finest woods with special attention to every detail. Due to the natural variation in wood grain, each map will vary slightly in finish and color, some come to us all blonde and some has beautiful variances, making each one unique and one-of-a-kind. (Photo shown is our showroom display. Your map will be very close to this, but wood grain, knots, and final finish color may be slightly different.)Birch is our wood of preference.
This is a beautifully detailed, laser engraved and precision cut topographical Map of Key West in Monroe County, Florida with the following interesting stats carved into it:
- Located in Monroe County
- Land mass is 5.9 sq. miles
- Southernmost city in the continental United States
- Key West is 129 miles SW of Miami, FL
- And 106 miles N/NE of Havana, Cuba
- Motto: One Human Family!
- Cayo Hueso
- Is the original Spanish name for the island, It literally means “Bone Key”. It is said that the island was littered with bones of native inhabitants, who used the isle as a communal graveyard.
- March 25, 1822 Lt. Commander Matthew C. Perry claimed the keys as United States property
- The island is considered the “Gibraltar of the West” because of its strategic location on the 90 mile wide deep shipping lane The Straits of Florida between the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.
- Black Lake, is of Glacial Origin
- Formed approx. 12,000 years ago
- Length; 21 miles long
- Width; 4 miles at its widest point
- Acres; 11,000 +
- Average Depth; 10 feet
- All maps include special points of interest laser engraved into the map face and come with a beautiful blue self-adhesive Swarovski Crystal to mark your preferred location on the map (see sample picture).
- Once the map is cut and engraved we hand sand multiple times, assemble and clear coat them for a lustrous wood shine. We believe that this personal attention each and every item receives makes each wooden item a unique work of art.
- Made in the USA by American workers in an American owned business.
You can choose the stand out map which is mounted onto a tranquil blue back with a key hole cut on the back, ready to hang.Available in three sizes:
- Standard Stand out 15"x23"
- Large Stand out 19"x32"
Or a framed map, our classic solid wood English chestnut stained frame gives it the classic look,Available in three sizes:
- Standard 18”x27” Map
- Large 37”x24” Map
Interesting Factoid About the Lake:-
Key West is an island in the Straits of Florida on the North American continent, at the southernmost tip of the Florida Keys. The island is about 90 miles from Cuba.
Key West is politically within the limits of the city of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, United States. The city also occupies portions of nearby islands.
The island is about 4 miles long and 1 mile wide, with a total land mass of 4.2 square miles. Duval Street, its famous main street, is a mere 1.1 miles in length in its 14-block crossing from the Gulf of Mexico to the Florida Straits/Atlantic Ocean. In the late 1950s, many of the large salt ponds on the eastern side were filled in, nearly doubling the original land mass of the island. The island is 3,370 acres in area.
(Not all of this information made it onto the map, we just love to read up on the lakes we design)