Grand Lake St. Marys Ohio Laser Engraved Map
Each map is a beautiful artistic handcrafted work of art using the finest woods with special attention to every detail. Due to the natural variation in wood grain, each map will vary slightly in finish and color, some come to us all blonde and some has beautiful variances, making each one unique and one-of-a-kind. (Photo shown is our showroom display. Your map will be very close to this, but wood grain, knots, and final finish color may be slightly different.)Birch is our wood of preference.
This is a beautifully detailed, laser engraved and precision cut topographical Map of Grand Lake St. Marys in Mercer and Auglaize Counties, Ohio with the following interesting stats carved into it:
- 13,500 surface acres
- Max. length: 8.2 miles
- Max width: 2.8 miles
- Avg. depth: 5-7 feet
- All maps include special points of interest laser engraved into the map face and come with a beautiful blue self-adhesive Swarovski Crystal to mark your preferred location on the map (see sample picture).
- Once the map is cut and engraved we hand sand multiple times, assemble and clear coat them for a lustrous wood shine. We believe that this personal attention each and every item receives makes each wooden item a unique work of art.
- Made in the USA by American workers in an American owned business.
- Please note on smaller maps (13 x 16 and 14 x 17 framed) it may be hard to read road names and if the lake has islands they will not be included.
You can choose the stand out map which is mounted onto a tranquil blue back with a key hole cut on the back, ready to hang.Available in three sizes:
- Small stand out 13"x16"
- Standard Stand out 15"x23"
- Large Stand out 19"x32"
Or a framed map, our classic solid wood English chestnut stained frame gives it the classic look,Available in three sizes:
- Small 14”x18” Map
- Standard 18”x27” Map
- Large 37”x24” Map
Interesting Factoid About the Lake:-
Originally constructed as a feeder reservoir for the Miami-Erie Canal, Grand Lake St. Marys was for many years recognized as the largest man-made reservoir in the world. The 13,500-acre lake is the gateway to swimming, boating, camping and fishing in one of Ohio's oldest state parks.
The area in and around Grand Lake St. Marys State Park played an important part in the development of the Northwest territory. The St. Marys River served as a vital link between the Great Lakes and the Ohio River.
Because of this heavy water traffic, the renegades Simon and James Girty established a trading post, which eventually evolved into the town of St. Marys. General “Mad” Anthony Wayne passed through the area in 1794 during this march to drive out the Shawnee, which culminated in the Battle of Fallen Timbers. Some of Wayne's men returned here to make their homes.
In 1837, work commenced on a reservoir for the Miami-Erie canal to maintain the canal’s five-foot water depth. Workers using hand tools were paid 35 cents a day and a jigger of whiskey to keep malaria away.
Completed in 1845 The lake was connected to the canal by a three-mile feeder. (Not all of this information made it onto the map, we just love to read up on the lakes we design).
(Not all of this information made it onto the map, we just love to read up on the lakes we design)