Daufuskie Island South Carolina Laser Engraved Map
Each map is a beautiful artistic handcrafted work of art using the finest woods with special attention to every detail. Due to the natural variation in wood grain, each map will vary slightly in finish and color, some come to us all blonde and some has beautiful variances, making each one unique and one-of-a-kind. (Photo shown is our showroom display. Your map will be very close to this, but wood grain, knots, and final finish color may be slightly different.)Birch is our wood of preference.
This is a beautifully detailed, laser engraved and precision cut topographical Map of Daufuskie Island, South Carolina, with the following interesting stats carved into it:
- The name Daufuskie, comes from the Muscogee language, meaning “Sharp Feather”. The Yemassee Indians arrived on Daufuskie Island in 1664, replacing the Cusabo Indians.
- Bloody Point got its name as a result of English settlers ambushing the Yemassee Indians in 1715 on the beach.
- The Melrose Mansion was completed on the Stoddard-Mongin plantation in 1848.
- The Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade brought many enslaved Africans to Daufuskie Island to produce “Sea Island Cotton” during the 18th century. The Gullah/Geechee culture was prevalent on the island well after the civil war and into the 1980’s.
- The Gullah’s speak a distinct language properly referred to as “Sea Island Creole”.
- All maps include special points of interest laser engraved into the map face and come with a beautiful blue self-adhesive Swarovski Crystal to mark your preferred location on the map (see sample picture).
- Once the map is cut and engraved we hand sand multiple times, assemble and clear coat them for a lustrous wood shine. We believe that this personal attention each and every item receives makes each wooden item a unique work of art.
- Made in the USA by American workers in an American owned business.
You can choose the stand out map which is mounted onto a tranquil blue back with a key hole cut on the back, ready to hang.Available in three sizes:
- Standard Stand out 15"x23"
- Large Stand out 19"x32"
Or a framed map, our classic solid wood English chestnut stained frame gives it the classic look,Available in three sizes:
- Standard 18”x27” Map
- Large 37”x24” Map
Interesting Factoid About the Lake:-
Daufuskie Island is a residential sea island of South Carolina, located between Savannah, Georgia and Hilton Head Island, South Carolina and about 2.75 miles (4.43 km) offshore. The total island surface is just 8 square miles (21 km2) within the maximum length of 5 miles (8.0 km) and maximum width of 2.5 miles (4.0 km).
Daufuskie has a full-time population of around 250. There are two resorts, a private residential community, and a large undeveloped tract of lands identified as residential property. The island was named a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places due to its Gullah and Civil War history.
(Not all of this information made it onto the map, we just love to read up on the lakes we design)