Falls Lake North Carolina Laser Engraved Map
Each map is a beautiful artistic handcrafted work of art using the finest woods with special attention to every detail. Due to the natural variation in wood grain, each map will vary slightly in finish and color, some come to us all blonde and some has beautiful variances, making each one unique and one-of-a-kind. (Photo shown is our showroom display. Your map will be very close to this, but wood grain, knots, and final finish color may be slightly different.)Birch is our wood of preference.
This is a beautifully detailed, laser engraved and precision cut topographical Map of Falls Lake North Carolina in Durham, Wake and Granville counties with the following interesting stats carved into it:
- Lake Type: Reservoir
- Primary inflows: Eno River
- Flat River, Little River
- 12,410 Surface Acres
- 175 Miles of Shoreline
- All maps include special points of interest laser engraved into the map face and come with a beautiful blue self-adhesive Swarovski Crystal to mark your preferred location on the map (see sample picture).
- Once the map is cut and engraved we hand sand multiple times, assemble and clear coat them for a lustrous wood shine. We believe that this personal attention each and every item receives makes each wooden item a unique work of art.
- Made in the USA by American workers in an American owned business.
- Please note on smaller maps (13 x 16 and 14 x 17 framed) it may be hard to read road names and if the lake has islands they will not be included.
You can choose the stand out map which is mounted onto a tranquil blue back with a key hole cut on the back, ready to hang.Available in three sizes:
- Small stand out 13"x16"
- Standard Stand out 15"x23"
- Large Stand out 19"x32"
Or a framed map, our classic solid wood English chestnut stained frame gives it the classic look,Available in three sizes:
- Small 14”x18” Map
- Standard 18”x27” Map
- Large 37”x24” Map
Interesting Factoid About the Island:-
Falls Lake is a 12,410 acre reservoir located in Durham, Wake and Granville counties in North Carolina, United States. Falls Lake extends 28 miles up the Neuse River to its source at the confluence of the Eno, Little and Flat rivers.
The lake is named for the Falls of the Neuse, a section of the Neuse River that falls from the Piedmont into the lower Coastal Plain and which is now submerged under the lake. The lake provides drinking water for several of the surrounding communities, including the city of Raleigh, NC, aids with flood control and serves as a recreation area and wildlife habitat.
The construction of the dam that holds the lake began in 1978 and was completed in 1981. Prior to 1978, flooding of the Neuse River caused extensive damage to public and private properties including roadways, railroads, industrial sites and farmlands. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers constructed and manages the dam. Falls Dam is an earthen structure having a top elevation of 291.5 feet and an overall length of 1,915 feet.
The village is revered for its picturesque nature and is a popular location for vacationing. It was the primary filming location for the successful film Weekend at Bernie's in 1989, as well as being a major location in The Butcher's Wife in 1991. "Old Baldy", its out-of-service lighthouse, is the oldest still standing in the state, built in 1817.
The height above the stream bed is 92.5 feet.
(Not all of this information made it onto the map, we just love to read up on the Island we design)